Sunday, February 14, 2021

Cheap 7 Inch Haul: 1990 - Glee Club

Early on in 2020 I posted a bunch of 7 inches that I'd picked up for cheap during a shopping trip in Boston with Sandwell. I did a string of eight posts on the blog documenting that haul and it was a bit of fun adding those to the collection and writing about them here. I don't know why, but older records are just more exciting to buy...even when they are records that very few people probably still care about. When I was recently scrolling through some records that a seller had available on Discogs, and noticed they had a bunch of old hardcore 7 inches available for cheap, I got caught up in the excitement and started tossing things into the cart. At the end of the day I had ordered sixteen old 7 inches that were released between 1990 and 2003. I'm going to post these things chronologically based on when they were released, so let's kick things off with Glee Club from 1990.
I was basically introduced to the more underground side of hardcore with issue number nine of No Answers. That fanzine opened my eyes to all kinds of cool shit, and I specifically remember there being a review for a Glee Club 7 inch that sparked my interest in the band and made me want to check them out. Kent McClard did No Answers, and additionally ran a small distro at the time named By-Product Mailorder. When I noticed that the distro had the Farawaylands 7 inch, I quickly bought it. That record didn't sound anything like I thought it would, and was quite a bit more melodic than I was expecting, but still found it kind of cool.
When I was scrolling through the list of records available from a Discogs seller, I noticed that he had a 7 inch from Glee Club available. Turned out to be the Farawaylands 7 inch with a different cover. I hadn't listened to this band for years, but seeing this other cover threw me back to 1990, and I suddenly really wanted it. This record isn't anything special, but I do like to give it a spin now and then, and it was cool to discover this other cover 30+ years later...and check out that $3.25 postage paid price on the back cover...damn, those were the days.
Here is a photo to show the two different covers. I'm weirdly happy to own both of these.

2 comments:

mcs said...

Never heard this, but stuff like this is what its all about.

Mike said...

I tried like hell to find a song on youtube to link here, but doing a search for Glee Club is maddening.