Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Cheap 7 Inch Haul: 1994 - Serpico

Originally released under the band name Sleeper in 1991, this 7 inch ended up being reissued in '94 after they changed their name over to Serpico to avoid conflict with a UK band of the same name. I bought the original Sleeper record back in the early 90's, but when I saw this Serpico reissue on colored vinyl, I couldn't resist it.
I absolutely love the three songs on this record... for early 90's melodic punk, this record hits the spot... but for some reason I've never been able to connect with any of other stuff by Sleeper or Serpico. Their two albums on Equal Vision were okay, but nothing very exciting. A lot of potential, and being on EVR helped to get their name out there, but their stuff just never clicked. This first 7 inch is great though.
I really like the packaging for this 7 inch and think the white vinyl with the brown center labels and cover looks great. 500 pressed on this color.
There are a number of different versions for this record under the Sleeper name, but the copy I have on gold vinyl is probably all I'll need...you know, until I see happen to see one of the white or pink vinyl pressings for cheap.

1 comment:

mcs said...

I have the gold and pink of the sleeper version, but literally had no idea the serpico version even existed until about 1 minute ago. this is good info!