Friday, February 19, 2021

Cheap 7 Inch Haul: 1997 - Bout Of The Century

My "Big 4" for hardcore in 1996 would be Ten Yard Fight, Fastbreak, Floorpunch and Bane. I can't understate how big those bands were for me at that time... and when TYF and Fastbreak teamed up for a split 7 inch in '97, I couldn't have been more excited for it. Even though I prefered CDs at the time, I still made sure to pick up this record. I can't remember where I bought the red vinyl, but it feels like I saw Ten Yard Fight play once a month at the time, I assume I grabbed the red vinyl at their merch table.
The songs on this split are all great. I remember around this time, some people were starting to talk about how disappointed they were that Fastbreak were changing their sound, so I didn't know what to expect when I picked this up back then. I was relieved when I finally heard the songs as these are still rooted in that old school youth crew style...turned out that change wouldn't show up until their next record...make no mistake though, Fastbreak never put out a bad record.
Since I absolutely love this record, it is ridiculous how long it has taken me to put together a halfway decent collection. When I filling my cart with cheap 7 inches from a Discogs seller and saw this green vinyl pressing available, I was happy to finally grab a copy for myself.
While this record is part of my "cheap 7 inch haul", this was still the most expensive one of the bunch... breaking the bank at $9... but it was still worth it to finally have all four colors.

2 comments:

mcs said...

For some reason I only have 2 copies of this split. When it came out I remember thinking it was stupid that there were so many different versions. Twenty whatever years later and I'm wondering what the hell I was thinking and why I don't have more. I guess times change!

Also, this just might be the greatest series ever in this history of your blog. I'm hitting F5 every two minutes hoping for the next installment.

Mike said...

Got to love cheap records that most collectors don't give a shit about!