1. One King Down 'Bloodlust Revenge' first press - Holy shit. This One King Down record may have been my favorite thing that I listened to all year. I've always liked Bloodlust Revenge, but I hadn't really listened to it for a number of years. I gave it a casual spin earlier this year, and it hit me hard. I listened to it again and again and again, and was very happy to pick up the first press on colored vinyl.
2. Vantage Point 'An Answer You Won't Find' record release - The Vantage Point record release was the last show that I went to in 2020. It had been a long time since I'd gotten myself out the door and on the road to a hardcore show. I've come to really hate driving and parking in Boston, so I've missed out on a ton of shows over the last five years or so. It felt great to be back in a small room and watching live bands play again while kids jumped all over each other. Fuck. I'd missed this. Every band playing that show was great, and I committed myself to getting out more often...and then COVID shut everything down. Buying this record release cover felt special.
3. AC/DC 'High Voltage' Aussie first press - I was able to grab a few really cool AC/DC records this past year, but an Australian first press of their first record felt like a real accomplishment. Adding this one to the collection means that I now have the first four AC/DC albums covered.
4. Foundation record release and tour press - I don't really consider myself a collector of Foundation records, and yet I keep finding myself buying them now and then. The two that I picked up this year were grabbed on a whim, and when they arrived I was in awe over how fucking cool they looked.
5. Scorpions Japanese pressings - I obsessed over Japanese pressings this year, and picking up three Scorpions records with the OBI felt pretty cool. I had always been content with Scorpions records that were cheap and common, but these Japanese pressings changed my outlook on collecting this band. I definitely want more, and hope to grab a few more in 2021.
For a fucked up year, finding new bands and checking out new records brought a bit of normalcy to everything. Who knows where things will go for 2021, but whatever happens, I'll still be here talking to myself. If anyone else is still listening, I consider it a bonus, and I thank you for hanging out and following along with this nonsense.