Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Don't Sleep With Revelation

It has been a long time since I've been interested in a Dave Smalley band. When I was fresh into hardcore during the early 90's, I loved the triple D's...I'm talking about DYS, Dag Nasty and Down By Law, you pervert! Eventually, the Down By Law records started to lose their punch and I stopped paying attention...and there is no need to speak of that DYS reunion song. When Smalley got a new band together with Don't Sleep and released an EP a few years ago, I wasn't interested and stayed away. I'm not sure what sparked my interest when I saw that the band released a new album in 2020, but I must have been caught on a off day from being old and jaded, and I give the songs a spin on Spotify. Not bad...not bad at all. Surprisingly I was kind of digging some of the album, but I still wasn't sure if I wanted to fork over the money for the vinyl.
When I saw that Marcus posted about the album a few weeks ago, I decided to revisit it and see if it really interested me or if my initial reaction was just a passing whim. Damn, some of these songs are too much fun to ignore, and I've got to move and sing along. I gave the album a few more spins and then finally decided to grab a copy before the end of the year.
I ended up grabbing a copy from the REVHQ store on Discogs. They had listed it with a cheap price because of a "crushed corner". I exchanged a couple messages with them and determined that it really wasn't that badly damaged, so I bought it. REV had it listed as the yellow vinyl which was a REVHQ exclusive, but when it arrived, the vinyl is definitely more orange than yellow. Is it really the "canary yellow and red apple" pressing and they listed it wrong, or is it some transition color that REV is famous for with their greens and greys? I honestly have no idea, but it is still a fun record, so I'm happy to have one.

No comments: