Monday, December 07, 2020

Praying To Satan

With this covid pandemic, it has been a long time since I've stopped by one of the local record stores. As I was driving home from a friends house recently, I happened to be driving by one of the Bull Moose stores...it was late a night, so I was sure the store would be empty of customers, so I decided to stop in a poke around for a bit. It was fun to flip through some record bins, and when I saw a live bootleg for Slayer, I knew that I was going to have to take a trip to the register an buy it.
This live record is an old FM radio broadcast from back in '91. These type of radio broadcasts are popping up all over the place these days, and while they are generally good for the recording quality, they do tend to cut the setlist short so everything can be contained on a single LP. That is the case here for this Slayer bootleg. Everything sounds good, but I can't help but feel disappointed when comparing the record to the full setlist for this show, and noticing the songs that ended up being cut (ugh...would have loved to have Hardening Of The Arteries included on this record).
The band is on fire here though, and it serves as a good reminder of how great they were. I don't know...there are times when I kind of take those bigger bands like Anthrax, Metallica and Slayer for granted, and it seems that I rarely give thier albums a spin. I grew up with that stuff, and back in the late 80's that shit was in constant rotation...these days, I sometimes tend to overlook it for one reason or another. This live record was a nice reminder of just how insanely good the Slayer were, and now all I want to do is fill my daily playlists with late 80's thrash.

No comments: