Monday, August 17, 2020

Stiff Upper Lip

After crossing off a big ticket AC/DC album earlier this year, and then a couple really cool singles, I was itching to keep things rolling. When collecting AC/DC records, you have to choose which path you want to take. Do you want to just get their albums onto your shelf and not break a sweat, or do you want to be a fucking collector.

When I started looking to pick up a copy of Stiff Upper Lip, it was tempting to make an easy run at the reissue. No doubt the reissue looks kind of cool with the printed inner sleeve full of photos from that era as well a nice written bio on the record, but I didn't like the look of the center label, so like an idiot, I decided to go with the original pressing...and since Stiff Upper Lip was originally released in 2000, when CD was king, and only Europe bothered to press it on vinyl in limited quantities. So I basically spent an additional $80 on an original pressing just because I didn't like the look of the reissue center labels.

This record tends to get kicked around by AC/DC fans, as most of them seem to look down their noses at it. I don't understand the hate. I fucking love this album and for some reason I've been obsessing over it this year. I fully expect that by the time December rolls around, Stiff Upper Lip will be one of the albums that I've listened to the most this year...so obviously the time was right to finally buy the vinyl.

Yeah, the printed inner sleeve for the original isn't as slick as the reissue, but I do love the image of the fist in the air. Worth every dollar spent.

No comments: