Wednesday, November 02, 2022

Measure Inside

Over the years, I've had a few friends that have turned me on to bands that I may not have checked out if it wasn't for their influence. I'm confident that without Marcus blogging about Seaweed, and singing such high praise for the band, I would have never bothered to give them a chance. The band was around back in the early 90's, just when I was diving into the hardcore punk scene, but somehow they never made it onto my radar. I'm assuming that it was because of the Sub Pop label, which I never bothered with, and if this band had dropped a record on Gern Blandsten alongside a band like Garden Variety, I would have been all over it. Instead, I never even heard the name Seaweed until I saw Marcus posting about them some 20 years later.
In addition to turning me on to the band, Marcus also put together a package of Seaweed 7 inches as well as a copy of the Weak LP, and shipped it to me about 8 years ago. A long time has passed since that box of records arrived, and I've recently been itching to pick up more Seaweed vinyl. Ideally, I'd like to get my hands on the green vinyl for the Spanaway album, but since that doesn't come up very often, and when it does, it is for a crazy price, I figured that I'd dive back in on the Seaweed singles collection that Marcus got me started on. I found a copy of the Measure 7 inch on clear for cheap, and I grabbed it. I was happy with the purchase, and thought that I was done chasing Seaweed vinyl for a while. I was wrong.
After I picked up the clear vinyl for the Measure 7 inch, I found myself back reading old Seaweed posts from Marcus and noticed that he had multiple copies of the record on orange vinyl. I didn't need different shades of orange like he did, but I did like how the color vinyl looked with the cover. One more trip back to Discogs and that was sorted.
Apparently I'm collecting multiple copies of Seaweed records now.
I wasn't planning on spending a lot of money on Seaweed 7 inches, but with two copies of Measure in my hands, the record collecting mania hit me, and before I knew what was happening, I'd found and paid for a copy of the band's first 7 inch, Inside.
While this one cost more than the Measure 7 inch, the price wasn't out of this world. Considering it was Seaweed's first record, and on colored vinyl, I was happy to add it to the collection, no matter the price.

No comments: