Friday, November 04, 2022

Kill Emo

Autumn were a hardcore band out of the mid-90's, and like a lot of bands from that period they were blending styles and pushing boundaries to be different from your standard hardcore band. I had picked up their Wire Hangers 7 inch back in the day, and while I enjoyed it, it still got buried under a bunch of other records that I was listening to and I never paid it much attention at the time.
When I heard that Hellminded was releasing a retrospective of the band, I thought it was a bit of an odd choice. Autumn didn't seem to be making that much of an impact in 1995/1996, so I figured that they would be all but forgotten about in 2022. Digging into some info on the band, I discovered that in addition to the Wire Hangers 7 inch, Autumn also released a couple of other EPs in the 90's (including a CD only release on Revelation's imprint label, Crisis). I dusted off the Wire Hangers record for a spin, and I was surprised with how much I enjoyed revisiting those songs. Classic mid-90's shit. I was especially interested to check out the Autumn stuff I'd never heard before, and I threw some money at Hellminded for the record.
I don't really pay much attention to Hellminded, but I liked the way they handled the One Up discography, and they did a fantastic job with this Autumn record as well. The songs sound great, the vinyl looks nice, and the insert with the history of the band and writing from the members makes for a nice package.
Did I need a test pressing of the Autumn retrospective? No. Did I buy one simply for the Kill 'Em All / Chung King mash up cover? Yes.
Test pressing is numbered and limited to 30.

1 comment:

mcs said...

Similar thoughts here. Why the hell is this necessary in 2022? I also have that 7" and the CD on Rev. But didn't feel I needed this. The test cover is kinda cool though.