Tuesday, November 08, 2022

House Of Katon

In the early 90's, I picked up a 7 inch from a band called House Of Suffering. I was still relatively new to hardcore, but I was familiar with Amenity with the This Is Our Struggle 7 inch, and since House Of Suffering had a couple of Amenity members, I took a chance and stuffed some cash in an envelope to order a copy of that record. Musically, that House Of Suffering 7 inch was kind of similar to what I knew from Amenity, but the rap style vocals were completely unexpected. The record felt really unique, and I liked it, but over the years I kind of forgot all about it.
Here we are, 30 years later, and I'm just discovering that House Of Suffering had a second 7 inch that was released in 1992. Not only did I recently uncover that record, but I also just learned that Katon De Pena was their singer. Katon, of course, sings for the underground thrash band Hirax since 1985, so it kind of blew my mind to find out that he also sang in this relatively unknown early 90's hardcore band. Knowing this, I definitly needed to hear that second House Of Suffering 7 inch.
The Wired / Youth 7 inch is such a great early 90's hardcore record. The rap style vocals are gone, and Katon does more singing on these two songs. His voice fits the music perfectly, and I can't get over how much I'm loving this thing. I absolutely needed to get this 7 inch and the yellow vinyl was a must. Thankfully I was able to quickly scoop one from Discogs at a decent price.

1 comment:

mcs said...

Seeing the cover of this one makes me think that I used to own this thing at some point in the 90s. Must have sold it or traded it away I guess.