Monday, November 21, 2022

Sumerkiller

I had a quick love affair with the first Sumerlands album. When it was released in 2016, I thought it was a killer record... but by the time we were moving through 2017, I'd left it in my rearview mirror. It is kind of funny how quickly I forgot about that record. When I heard that Sumerlands was releasing a new album in 2022, I dusted off that first record and once again, I'm blown away with how good it is. Maybe this time it will stick.
The latest Sumerlands record finds the band with a new singer, adding Brendan Radigan from Magic Circle, Stone Dagger, Battle Ruins, The Rival Mob, etc. While I generally find myself disappointed when a band changes singers, I was feeling pretty good about Brendan stepping in with Sumerlands. This is some great traditional heavy metal and it gets better each time I listen to it.
I was pretty excited when I was placing the order for the Dreamkiller record. Typically I try to pick up the best looking colored vinyl, but as I was in the Relapse store, I just wanted the most limited pressing available. Gold and violet with splatter is what I ended up with, and strangely I'm not concerned with how shitty it looks.
First 500 orders got a couple of Sumerlands guitar picks.

2 comments:

mcs said...

I think it's quite fortunate that you aren't concerned with how shitty it looks, haha!

Mike said...

Ha! I think that it doesn't bother me only because it is a metal record. I don't think that I would stand for it if it was hardcore.