Thursday, October 06, 2022

Red Fields Of Fire

There is something about early 2000's era hardcore that has been attractive to me lately. I know that I'd pushed it aside and kind of looked down my nose at it, judging it as inferior for a lot of years. During those years, I thought it was okay, but I wasn't going to a lot of shows and I have this weird disconnected feeling about that time. There was some cool shit going on, but overall I just kind of shoved it aside and forgot about a lot of those bands for many years. I don't think that I'm alone here, as it seems like a lot of people kind of overlook that era... but going back and digging through those bands recently has me realizing just how much fun some of that shit was.
Fields Of Fire was a band out of Southern California in the early 2000's, and they played straight forward hardcore with a catchy injection of punk. I got turned on to the band because Phyte Records released their Keep It Alive CD, and since I was into what Phyte was doing at the time, I grabbed it. I thought it was cool, and grabbed the Kill The Flock CD when that was released the following year. It seems that no one is really interested in collecting the band in 2022, as I started to see what vinyl options were available and was able to pick up the Kill The Flock 7 inch for just under $3.
I've recently started listening to the 185 Miles South podcast, and while I'm not big on listening to podcasts, that one is definately a favorite. The Fields Of Fire singer, Ben Merlis, seems to be a part of the regular crew that talks hardcore on that pod, and it is cool to hear him occasionally drop some info or a story about this band, or his mid to late 2000's band, Bad Reaction. Just listening to that pod gets me fired up on all things hardcore.

No comments: