Wednesday, October 19, 2022

Moral Law

In recent years, Marcus turned me on to a bunch of great records that New Age had been releasing that I'd been completely ignoring. Sure, I'd seen pictures of their records floating around Instagram, but I'd been too stubborn and just made assumptions that it wasn't something that I was going to be interested in. That was a mistake. Once I finally dove into what New Age had been doing over the past few years, I was amazed at how good some of that shit was. It was time to start paying attention.
I wasn't familiar with Moral Law when I heard that New Age was going to be releasing an album from the band this year. As I was checking to see what the band was about, I started seeing the term "metalcore" thrown around and I immediately lost interest. I'm trying to fight initial knee jerk reactions like that, and so I forced myself to still check the band out. I'm glad that I did, because Moral Law reminds me more of the 90's hardcore bands than the metalcore stuff that I was expecting. I ride hard for the 90's hardcore sound, and I was really liking what I'd heard as a preview to The Looming End, so I ordered two copies. What can I say... I got caught up in the moment and ordered multiple copies of a record that I really don't intend to fully collect. Still, this is a great, hard as nails, uncompromising, vegan straight edge record.
I couldn't resist the '77 pressing for this on pink vinyl, but the center labels here are smaller than the regular LP edition and look almost comically small on a 12 inch record. If New Age keeps using these weirdly small labels, I don't know if I'll bother with the '77 pressing in the future. I wanted the pink vinyl, but maybe I should have just ordered the regular pink press.

3 comments:

mcs said...

Hang on... people still buy New Age releases?

Mike said...

Hang on... New Age isn't cool anymore? So what!

Ralf said...

I usually walk away from anything labelled metal core as well, but this record strikes a chord with me, probably because it reminds me more of 90s hardcore than actual metal core, or what I consider metal core. Just like you wrote. Possibly the front runner for record of the year for me.