Monday, December 27, 2021

Exodus Non Grata

It has been seven years since Exodus have released a new album. Gary Holt is the driving force behind the band, and getting the call to join Slayer for their last record and final tours was too good an opportunity to pass up...so therefore, Exodus was put on hold so that Gary could help send Slayer off in style. Over the past 20 years, Exodus has been a pretty proficient band, so waiting seven years between albums is not the norm for them. As much as I prefer Slayer, it is still nice to have Exodus back with a new album.
When it was first announced that Exodus were recording a new album, I'll admit that I wasn't too excited. Since it's release in 2014, I haven't given Blood In Blood Out much thought, and I kind of wrote it off as a disappointment. Revisiting it a few months ago, I was surprised at how well the record has held up, and it unexpectedly had me looking forward the new record Persona Non Grata.
Zetro's vocals can be a bit grating, so it took me a little while to warm up to this new Exodus record, and initially I just found myself wishing that the band had stuck with Dukes. After a few spins, I started to appreciate Persona Non Grata more and more. The band can still deliver some quality thrash, and some of the slower songs here are heavy as fuck...plus that cover art is amazing. Great record.

No comments: