Saturday, December 18, 2021

Dare2Be Straight Edge

Dare are a straight edge band out of Orange County California, and you'd think that would be all the info that I would have needed to check out the band. Yet, despite releasing two EPs on Reaper, I had zero interest in Dare until I heard they had an album coming out on REV this year. Given how interested I've been in checking out newer hardcore bands this year, I figured that I'd finally roll the dice with Dare.
With my first listen of the new Dare album, Against All Odds, I was a bit underwhelmed. The singers voice was a bit different than what I was expecting, and it really threw me off. To be honest, if this was a few years ago, I would have ditched it then and there without looking back...but these days, I'm trying to be more open minded so I queued it up on Spotify a few more times. With repeat listens, I started to connect more and more to the songs, and it got to the point where I was going to need to buy a copy.
Initially, I was really interested in the purple vinyl that was exclusive to the REVHQ store, but when I was looking to buy a copy, it was listed as SOLD OUT. I thought that I might be able to scoop it off Discogs for a decent price once the record was finally released, but soon a few shithead sellers started looking to flip it for $80. Fuck that. I went for the indie store exclusive on orange vinyl at a much more reasonable price. As luck would have it, this color looks fucking great...also, REV currently has the purple vinyl available in their store again, so Discogs sellers can eat shit.

4 comments:

Willem RWHAF said...

I think I am on the opposite side, as I have the two ep's from Reaper Records and this LP cover doesn't attract me at all...

Mike said...

I never bothered with those two EPs, partly because they were on Reaper. Since getting into this album, I've gone back and checked out the second one and I'm now frantically trying to find a copy.

Willem RWHAF said...

Why are you hating on Reaper?

Mike said...

I think that at the time, they had released a string of records that didn't interest me so I just stopped paying attention to the label. Not hating on them, they just weren't on my radar at the time.