Tuesday, December 14, 2021

This Place You Know

One Step Closer were one of the bands that really re-ignited my interest in newer hardcore bands a couple years ago. I never really lost my passion for hardcore, but about five years ago it seemed to take a back seat as I was focused more on metal records. Watching One Step Closer play the Have Heart reunion in 2019 kind of woke me up to the fact that there were a bunch of newer hardcore bands that I'd been sleeping on. For this, I'm thankful because without witnessing the fire that OSC brought to the stage at that show, I may never have been pushed to check out some of the newer bands that have quickly become my favorites from the past couple years.
I was really looking forward to the new One Step Closer record, This Place You Know. Their 2020 promo with Lead To Gray and the cover of Broken by Turning Point had me excited to see what the band would deliver next. With this record, OSC expand a bit on their hardcore sound, but a lot of their original foundation is still intact.
This is a good hardcore record, but some of these songs don't have an immediate impact, and it feels like I will appreciate this one more and more with each listen.
The purple and pink swirl colored vinyl that was exclusive to Run For Cover Records sounded interesting when I ordered it, but the reality is a bit dull. It's less of a "swirl" and more of a "blend". At least it matches the front cover artwork nicely.

No comments: