Thursday, December 16, 2021

We All Need American Metal

At the start of this year, I really wanted to make a run at some early American metal records. I love that early 80's traditional metal shit, where even mediocre bands are still a fucking blast to listen to, and I wanted to make a dent in filling some obvious holes in my collection. I picked up a couple records throughout the year, but newer hardcore bands became such a big distraction and I couldn't focus on anything else, so that metal quest was shoved aside without much progress. So with the end of the year looming just around that corner, I wanted to snag one more crucial metal record before we move into 2022.
Lizzy Borden were a huge band for me in the mid-80's... in fact there are times when I would rate their Love You To Pieces album in my Top 10 for 1985 (and that year is no slouch for great metal records). Their over the top image captured my attention (dudes stalking women in lingerie with an axe is so totally 80's), but man, that band could deliver some serious metal as well. I'd picked up thier Menace To Society record over this past summer, and I was so excited to finally add it to my collection that I needed to grab the first Lizzy Borden album as well.
Love You To Pieces is loaded front to back with straight up classics. Council For The Caulron, Psychopath, Red Rum, American Metal, Rod Of Iron.... goddamn, this record doesn't let up with hit after hit. When I found a copy on eBay in great condition, I couldn't resist finally grabbing a copy.

No comments: