Tuesday, December 28, 2021

Sabbath Bootleg Haven

I've picked up a number of live bootlegs this past year. I just kept finding them and could not resist the opportunity to buy another one. Looking back, I'm kind of shocked at how many I bought this year, but damn, they were all so great that I just had to add them to the colleciton. As I was talking to my friend Jeff a couple months back, and showing off the latest bootleg that I'd bought, he started complaining about a Black Sabbath one that he had and that he thought it was a piece of shit. I told him that no matter how bad the live recording is, I usually still enjoy them...and without giving it a second thought, he gave me the one he had.
This Black Sabbath boot isn't one of those amazing looking releases from the past few years. Recent bootlegs have some fucking fantastic packaging, and this is not that. This is a bootleg that was released back in 1983, and like most old school boots, the packaging is an uncoordinated mess. The record is actually made up of a few different shows from '75 to '78, however, the front cover photo of Ozzy is from the early 80's when he was fronting the Ozzy Osbourne band...and then the writing from the back cover is all about Ian Gillan and when he joined Sabbath. Good old fashioned bootleg chaos.
Yeah, this recording is a bit rough, and I can see why Jeff was eager to dump it. The recording from the first LP is a bit slow and off pitch, so it is kind of a difficult listen... and overall, it just isn't put together very well. Still, it is an old bootleg from the 80's, so I've got to keep it.

No comments: