Sunday, May 23, 2021

Sodom And Genesis

After picking up the recent releases from old 80's metal bands like Raven and Accept, it got me thinking about some records from last year that I never bothered with at the time. One of those albums that I wanted to check out was the new Sodom record.
Sodom released a couple of classic thrash albums back in the 80's, and while I've checked out some of the band's other stuff over their sixteen album career I just find that I don't return to it like I do with Persecution Mania and Agent Orange. The band has been through a number of lineup changes over the years, but with the return of Frank Blackfire on guitar...and some very positive reviews for Genesis XIX...it kind of had me interested to see what the hype was all about. After previewing a couple of songs on Spotify, I was quickly scrambling and trying to track down a copy of the vinyl.
This record is an all-out German thrash attack! Clocking in around 55 minutes, it is a bit too long...and cutting a couple of the songs would have made this album an absolute crusher...but I still can't help but be impressed by this shit. It is cool when older bands can still pull off something like this...a total throwback to the Sodom glory days.

2 comments:

Johnny said...

For me Sodom have been one of the most consistent of the 80s thrash bands through the past couple decades. In fact, 2001's M-16 and 2010's In War and Pieces are two of my favorite thrash albums of any decade/era. They are just non-stop, both so good and just the tip of that iceberg. I really love the newest album too, for sure, but just thought I should comment, as I really think their whole discography is worth re-checking out.

Mike said...

Yeah, those mid-era Sodom albums are still good...it is just rare for me to go back to them. Maybe I'll bring them out for a spin!