Monday, March 29, 2021

Clearly Tragic

Despite their records being 25 years old, last year was the first time that I ever listened to Orange 9mm. As I started spinning the REV EP and Driver Not Included I was shocked at how much I loved what I was hearing. I was so excited to finally discover this band, that when my buddy Sandwell let me know that their 1996 album, Tragic, was being released for the first time ever on vinyl, I threw caution to the wind and without hearing the songs, I preordered a copy. Since I was ordering the record from Germany, and paying overseas shipping, it was a bit of a reckless move, but goddamn, sometimes you've just got to go with the impulse.
First things first, the packaging on this 25th anniversary pressing is top notch. I love the look of the new cover art, and with the red dust sleeve and clear vinyl...it is an impressive release.
While I do like what I hear on Tragic, it certainly doesn't have the same impact on me like the earlier records. To be honest, I think it all boils down to the last song, Kiss It Goodbye. The K-I-S-S-I-N-G chorus irritates me, and as this song closes out the album, it is the last impression I have of an otherwise solid record. Get that song outta there and this album fills the need when I want some unique 90's hardcore.

1 comment:

luciferyellow said...

That band, and particularly that album, has the perfect mixture of Burn and Quicksand. Very 90s but very good.