Wednesday, March 31, 2021

(I'm) Stranded In Australia

Last year I did a terrible job of focusing on my Top Wants list. I put this top 10 list together each year, not with the expectation that I'll buy everything on it, but to highlight some records that I've wanted over recent years, and to keep them in my sights so they don't continue to get pushed aside. Last year I only managed to pick off two of them from list, and I swore that in 2021 I'd do better. Before too much time got away from me, I wanted to make a move on my Top Wants list early, so back in January I started scheming on which one I was going to chase first.
The first album from The Saints, (I'm) Stranded, first showed up on my Top Wants list back in 2018. It has been stuck (errr...stranded) on the list for a few years, because I got it into my head that I would only be satisfied with an Australian pressing of the record...because of course The Saints were from Australia, so it only made sense to buy the pressing from their counrty...which of course makes it more expensive and difficult to track down...especially one in good condition. Hell, the US pressing of this record isn't exactly cheap, so if I'm going to do it, I might as well do it right.
I first discovered this album back in 2016 when I was obsessing over late 70's punk bands. I'd never heard of The Saints, but I was so hungry for that sound that I was trying a bunch of bands from that time period hoping to find something that hooked me. Along with bands like The Adverts, UK Subs, The Buzzcocks and The Dickies, I also struck gold with that first album from The Saints. From start to finish, it just has that cool punk attitude, and it feels good to finally have this classic in the collection.
I'm used to seeing the kangaroo logo on the early AC/DC records, but it is kind of cool to see it here on this album from The Saints.

1 comment:

Ralf said...

I’ve been in love with this record and especially the title track since 2003/04 when I watched a skate video using that song. Totally underrated band and record.