Wednesday, March 17, 2021

Sharpen Your NWOBHM Wits!

While I was doing the #febmetalpunk challenge on Instagram last month, I ended up buying the Metal Massacre II compilation so that I could use it for one of the days. That wasn't the only record that I bought specifically for the challenge though, the catagory for "patches" had me stumped as well. I'm sure the intention was for people to post a photo of their battle vest, but I haven't had a denim jacket covered in patches since 1988, so I needed to improvise.
For the "patch" catagory I was hoping to find a record cover that depicted some 80's heavy metal dudes wearing their denim and leather, and when I saw the Geddes Axe 7 inch from '82, I knew I'd found what I was looking for. Two young metalheads sitting class with their AC/DC, Saxon, UFO and Thin Lizzy patches was perfect. The only problem was, I didn't own a copy!
I've had this record in my sights for a year or so now, but had yet to pull the trigger. This Instagram challenge was the excuse that I needed to finally chase it down. These two songs, especially the title track Sharpen Your Wits, are pure New Wave Of British Heavy Metal gold! The band only released three EPs, and a total of eight songs... although High Roller released a compilation of the band a few years ago which included four previously unreleased songs. That's it...just some young kids bashing out a few songs and then disappearing. I love finding obscure NWOBHM singles like this.

No comments: