Thursday, November 04, 2021

...Countless Trips

Earlier this year, I had a test press of the self titled Three Penny Opera record land in my lap. Getting my hands on that album had me revisiting the entire 3PO catalog, and I'd forgotten just how great this band was. It had been a while since I'd given this band much of my time, but I suddenly couldn't get enough of them and I was listening to them daily. I was only missing one of their records from the collection, so of course I needed to get on it immediately.
Three Penny Opera released their first album, ...Countless Trips From Here To There, back in 1998 on the Spectra Sonic Sound label. The label was run by Shawn Scallen, who was a photographer and I remember seeing his name attached to photos of a few great Canadian bands at the time like Shotmaker and Sparkmarker (who named a 7 inch after him). Well, apparently Shawn still has some of the old Spectra Sonic stock laying around, and I was able to grab this album from him on Discogs.
Man, I can't get over just how great this record is. It is funny how you can forget about a record for years, and then suddenly become obsessed with it. Right now, I can't get enough of this thing.

No comments: