428 new records and CDs for 2012.
Holy shit. I bought a lot of music this past year. It is no exaggeration to say that shit got out of control. I would see something that I wanted, and just buy it with very little regard to how much I was spending each week. I was fucking dangerous. By the time October rolled around, I was starting to see the affect I was having on the savings account, and I applied the brakes.
I'm not going to deny it...2012 was a fucking blast when it came to record collecting. I was cranking out an average of 16 blog posts a month, and I still couldn't catch up with my backlog. Unfortunately I can't keep up that pace in buying new records, and my resolution is to enter the new year with a more conservative mindset on record spending.
With that said, let's take a look at my top 5 record purchases for the year.
1. In My Eyes 'Demo' with Lil Wayne cover - I had no idea that this existed, and when I first saw it listed on eBay, I was determined to win it at any cost.
2. Fire & Ice 'Not Of This Earth' test pressing - It is FNI. It is a test press. It has one of the coolest covers ever.
3. Mindset 'Time And Pressure' Celebrated Summer cover - The best Record Store Day release ever.
4. Rain On The Parade 'Full Speed Ahead' DC cover - I bought a bunch of ROTP vinyl this year. This one rules them all.
5. Reveal - 'Descent' yellow cover - You drink, you suck. I'm probably the only person to ever collect this band, and I don't care. Straight Edge.
2012 was huge for Hardcore. So much great new music. I had a hard time trying to narrow down the 49 new releases to only a Top 10 list.
The top 5 were relatively easy, but it was no easy choice deciding to cut Clear, OFF!, Crusades, and Losin' It.
The year didn't start out very impressive for Metal. For a few months there, I was starting to wonder if I was losing interest in the genre...and then along comes old school bands like Overkill, Testament, and Accept to remind me that there is still plenty of great Metal being played. By the end of 2012, I'm thinking that it was a much stronger year than the one before.
To end this post, we'll take a look at what I spent the most time listening to. No real surprises (with the exception of that Ceremony LP, which grew on me like crazy). If you've followed along this year, you are aware that I was obsessed with Justice, Bad Trip, Black Flag and Circle Jerks. Mix that in with some strong 2012 releases and you round out the bands that I listened to the most.
Thanks again for following along for another year. We won't top it in 2013, but I'm sure that it will stay interesting...as record collecting hasn't come close to boring me yet.