Thursday, March 01, 2012

Dollar Signs In My Eyes

After a string of cheap scores from eBay, sometimes I just say "fuck it" and go for the throat. Time to spend some real cash on a true rarity. In this case, I went fucking over the top.

Other than Champion, In My Eyes was one of the first bands that I set out to obtain a full collection for. Hands down, they are one of my favorite bands of all time. I was pretty sure that I had completed my collection years ago, and then Doug went and posted about the Lil Wayne cover on Vinyl Noize. Whoa, what the hell is this? I'd never heard about a Lil Wayne cover. I knew immediately that I wanted it...the question was, how much was I willing to spend? Limited to only 10 for the band and their friends, I knew this wasn't going to come around again for some time. If I truly wanted this, I needed to commit to it in a big way. I was due to receive my annual bonus from work in the upcoming weeks...the bullets were in the chamber, and I pulled the trigger.

When I first starting collecting vinyl around 2005, I was surprised at some of the prices people were paying for records. Mentally, I set a dollar limit for myself. A price that I would not exceed for a single record. Six months into this hobby, an orange vinyl pressing of the Carry On LP pushed me past that limit. Then came the record release pressing of Champion's Promises Kept. A new high was hit last year with the Get The Most test press for the Together LP. Now with this In My Eyes 7 inch, a new bar has been set. And you know what? It felt good.

To help Lil Wayne feel like he is welcome, I've updated the family photo.

12 comments:

mcs said...

Holy crap! If someone would have asked me a week ago to name 50 people who might have bought this, you would not have been one of them. Mainly because of price. I have to admit, I wanted this pretty badly myself, but I tapped out at $150.

But even though I was kinda bummed not to get it, I honestly can't think of anyone else I would rather this have gone to.

Nice work!

Mike said...

It is easily the most expensive record I've bought. I've passed on so many records because of the price, and instead just gone for the cheap $15 score. I'd grown tired of it, and wanted something special...regardless of the price.

xReganx said...

I'm pretty sure when the seller listed this it had a buy it now for around $30, guess it was removed once posted on VN.

Mark-Sandwell said...

cool score and cool collection my man.

mcs said...

There was never a buy it now option on this record. I was watching it within a couple of hours of it being listed. If it would have had a BIN option then it would be on my blog instead of Mike's.

Mike, just out of interest, if this hadn't have been on Vinyl Noize would you have picked up on it?

Mike said...

While I did hear about this first through Vinyl Noize, I saw Pappalardo post about it on FB a couple of days later, so regardless, I would have still been there to pick it up.

Anonymous said...

I saw this auction when it was just listed and there was indeed a BIN option of $150. The BIN option was gone pretty soon once the first bid was made. Funny that it sold for a bit more eventually.

Doug W said...

Hilarious! Marcus and I had a conversation after I posted it on Vinyl Noize to see which of us would make a play on it, and Mike swoops in grab it.

We really should coordinate more. It would save one of us some money...

mcs said...

Ok, I stand corrected. I was following it super early, but there was a bid on it, so I guess that cancelled out the BIN.

Not sure why eBay works that way. As a seller you have to pay extra to get a BIN option, but as soon as anyone places a bid the BIN vanishes. How dumb. I mean, just because someone bids $9.99 that doesn't mean that nobody else out there is willing to pay $150.

Mike said...

Doug, I thought about reaching out to you guys on this record, but then again, I wasn't sure how much I was prepared to spend until minutes before the auction ended.

Mike said...

BIN with an option for a bid makes no sense. Just put up the auction with a reserve...

Across Your Face said...

I remember I was watching that auction and was hoping to scoop it up but it got out of my price range quickly. I'm glad to see you got to finish your collection, Very impressive!!