Saturday, March 31, 2012

Grim Record Release

I was a little late to the party for Fire & Ice. I remember seeing their Gods & Devils 7 inch for sale in the Triple B store, and was completely turned off from the band due to the record's cover art. I expected some serious tough-guy/meat head Hardcore, and I stayed away. Back in 2010, they were scheduled to play the first Triple B showcase, so I downloaded Gods & Devils on a whim. I was surprised by how much I loved the band, and I quickly got to work making up for lost time and started building my FNI record collection.

A year or so later, Marcus gets into the band, and starts his own collection by picking up the record release version of Grim. What the hell? What's this? Since it's not listed on the Triple B discography page, I didn't even know this existed. It was kind of a dick move for him to pick up this record before I did, but record collecting is a cut throat hobby. Don't be fooled into believing that any of us are friends. All we do is make the game more difficult for each other.

A few months later, I took the opportunity to score my copy from FNI guitarist, Ryan Groat, through eBay.

The cover for Grim, with the four green heads, isn't any better than the one for Gods & Devils. The record release cover isn't too bad though, limiting it to just one green head.

The back cover includes the date of the record release show.

Hand numbered and limited to 50.

After acquiring this record release pressing, I was feeling pretty good about my collection. I knew that I was missing the black first press of Gods & Devils, but I thought I had everything else. I laid them all out for a photo, and realized that I'm also missing the orange vinyl pressing of Grim. Damn. So close. Come on...anyone want to help out an old friend?

2 comments:

mcs said...

Glad I made it harder for you, but damn, you've really stuck it to me with that final photo.

Looks real good though. Nice work!

Across Your Face said...

That is an incredible Fire and Ice collection! Now the quest will continue with test presses and record release (?) copies for Not of this Earth. What a twisted game we play.