Friday, March 24, 2023

Blues For The Gold Sun

I've been hot to pick up some Kyuss vinyl for a while now...where a "while" is defined as ten years. How has it been that long? Anyway... I first checked them out back in 2013 when I was discovering all kinds of great stoner bands like Fu Manchu, and I absolutely fell in love with both Blues For The Red Sun and Welcome To Sky Valley. Each time that I would start to make a move to pick up one of those records over the years, I'd read something about how shitty the vinyl pressing sounds (probably because they are squeezing over 50 minutes of music onto a single record) and I'd pull back and wait to see if they would possibly get a better pressing down the road.
In 2022, Blues For The Red Sun saw a reissue for the album's 30th anniversary, and I figured that it was time to finally pull the trigger and pick this one up. Sure there are still people complaining over the sound, but honestly, this is some super fuzzed out rock, so I'm not sure what people are looking for in terms of sound quality. It sounds fine to me.
I had actually seen this record in the bins at Wanna Hear It, and I was really tempted to pick it up when I was there in December. I ended up putting the Kyuss record back so that I could grab the Death album instead, but it was probably a couple weeks later that I grabbed it from a local Bull Moose store, so it all worked out in the end.
One of the reasons that I hesitated to buy this latest colored vinyl reissue was because the hype sticker noted that it was on gold. By today's standards, that typically means that ugly metallic gold vinyl, and if that was the case I would have stayed the fuck away from this. Thankfully, I discovered that this is a proper gold, and it looks fucking fantastic. Hopefully we see Welcome To Sky Valley get the same treatment this year.

No comments: