Friday, December 23, 2022

Decline Of New Age Records

A few years ago, it was brought to my attention that New Age Records had been releasing some great records that I'd completely missed the boat on. I had a blast diving into bands like Drug Control and The Dividing Line, but there were some that fell a bit flat for me. Decline was one of the bands and their 7 inch did not hold my interest at the time. The band were straight edge, and I definitely wanted to like them, but the songs from that 7 inch just didn't do anything for me. Five years after the release of that 7 inch, Decline are back with another record.
After reading the No Echo interview with Decline, and hearing them echo the same sentiments that I've been feeling the last few years in regards to racist MAGA bullshit, I knew that I was going to have to check out the new song that they released as a preview for the album. Compared to that 7 inch from 2017, the Broken album sounds like a completely different band to me. Where the 7 inch was raw and rough, this new record really reminds me of the Joe Nelson era of Ignite, or The Killing Flame. There is a nice polished youth crew revival feel to this whole record, except with some pissed off and political lyrics. I'm quite surprised with just how great this album is.
I didn't bother messing around with the 77 pressing and those small labels. Nah, that's okay. I'll just stick with the tri-color pressing. Limited to 115. Nice looking screen print on the b-side!

1 comment:

mcs said...

I'd given up on this label based purely on the pressing plant they now use. But your words on this one made me want to check it out... and you are spot on. I need to buy one.