Thursday, May 05, 2022

The Heart Of Rock & Roll

We were in the middle of some dark times a couple years ago. The pandemic had everyone one nervous about what the future held, Trump's hate machine had the nation on the verge of exploding, and in general everything felt fucking bleak. Every day I felt pissed off about something and would desperately cling to any bit of light that made me smile. Music has always been my sanctuary, but it was unexpected to find some comfort in those early 80's MTV hits from my early teen years. I don't know what it was, but those cheesy pop songs were exactly what I needed at that time and I would return to that playlist over and over again throughout 2020.
For the most part, I only cared about the singles from those early MTV bands, and I wasn't interested in checking out their albums. I was sticking with the songs that I was familiar with and wasn't digging for anything new...but with Huey Lewis and the News, I was having such a great time listening to that band that one day I figured that I just queue up the full Sports album on Spotify. Much to my surprise I found that I remembered just about every song on that record, and it was a lot of fun giving it a spin. It was just such a perfect reflection of those carefree early 80's years as kid, and a stark contrast to everything in 2020.
While I found that I really liked the Sports album, I still didn't see myself rushing out to buy a copy. While taking a weekend trip up the coast of Maine, my wife and I stopped into a record store to look around. Not surprisingly, they didn't have much that interested me...but they did have a used copy of Sports. It was in good shape and cheap, so I grabbed it.
My friend Jeff was aware of my strange obsession with Huey Lewis, and coincidently bought me a used copy of Sports the same weekend that I'd snagged one myself. So now I have two copies of this thing. Anyone else want to buy me a copy?

1 comment:

mcs said...

Fun fact - I could probably sing pretty much every word on this album.