Friday, May 06, 2022

Drug Church

I've seen the name Drug Church on Instagram record posts in recent years, but as an old and stubborn straight edge dude, I never bothered to check what they were about. I had zero interest. That changed when I saw their new album, Hygiene, listed under the preorder section at REVHQ. Visually, that record cover was stunning and I could not take my eyes off it. Suddenly I needed to find out what kind of music was under that cover.
The band had three new songs from the album available for preview on Spotify, and immediately I found what they were doing to be interesting. I don't even know how to describe what they sound like, but it isn't something that I would normally be interested in...yet I kept returning to those songs. I was sold and I knew that I was going to have to buy this record. While Hygiene isn't going to be my favorite release from this year, it will probably be the most interesting.
There were a number of different pressings for this record, but with that record cover, it felt like the obnoxious colored splatter vinyl looked the best. I didn't care that it was the most common pressing. It seemed to be a good match so that's the one that I grabbed.

3 comments:

Linus said...

Definitely check out their previous album, Cheer. It's a classic.

Mike said...

Yeah, when I was writing up this post, I checked the video for Unlicensed Hall Monitor, and now I definitely need to hear more from Cheer.

mcs said...

The record actually looks great. Nice.