Monday, May 30, 2022

Strength Of Steel

Anvil were a band that influenced a lot of metal bands in the early 80's. They were outrageous. They were fast. They were heavy. I didn't hear the band until they released their most commercial (and most successful) album, Strength Of Steel, in 1987. I was huge into thrash at the time, and while I enjoyed that Anvil album, it was still kind of disappointing when holding it up next to new releases from Anthrax, D.R.I. and Overkill.
To be honest, Strength Of Steel, isn't a terribly exciting album. There are some fun songs on here, but there are a number of them that are completely forgettable. If the band had amped up the energy and attitude with this record instead of leaning too much on mid paced rockers, things may have gone differently. While it is a fun song, in the end, Mad Dog just gets steamrolled by what bands like Metallica and Megadeth were doing.
The seller had this listed for a low price, so it was too easy to add it to my cart when I was picking up a couple of other records from them.

No comments: