Monday, May 23, 2022

Surviving Meliah Rage

Back in March, Doug sent me a message letting me know that he'd picked up the vinyl for the first Meliah Rage album. He'd assumed that I owned a copy, but in truth, I only owned the CD. I was jealous that he owned Kill To Survive on vinyl and I didn't, so I immediately set out to fix that.
When I started driving to Boston for shows, I caught Meliah Rage at least three different times in 1990...including opening for Slayer at The Channel. Of course Meliah Rage were from Boston, so it just seemed like they were playing somewhere every weekend. Live shows in small clubs like that was brand new to me, and each time that I saw Meliah Rage, I was just in awe of how powerful they sounded. Kill To Survive is a straight up thrash classic, and while I remember the follow up from 1990, Solitary Solitude, as being a bit weaker, I'm going to have to revisit it to see how it has held up over the past 32 years.
At a time when it seems that every seller on Discogs is asking ridiculous prices for records, it felt good to find a copy of Kill To Survive for only $20. Even though there was a bit of unexpected ring wear on the cover, it still feels good to pay a reasonable price for a classic thrash record.

No comments: