Monday, May 09, 2022

Call Me Little Sunshine

I've approached the last few Ghost albums with low expectations. The band has a lot of haters in the metal community, and I think that it sometimes clouds my opinion of the band. With each new album, I really don't expect to like it, but each time they end up winning me over in the end. Ghost had released a killer single with Hunter's Moon for the Halloween Kills soundtrack at the end of last year, and then to kick of the promotion of the new album, Impera, the band released a video for Call Me Little Sunshine. That was it. I was sold. Those two songs were cool as fuck, and I was excited to see what the new Ghost album would deliver.
You can always count on Ghost to have some great artwork for their albums, and Impera does not disappoint on that level. Papa Emeritus on the front cover totally reminds me of Iron Maiden's Eddie from the Powerslave tour posters. This album looks amazing, and while I generally dislike metallic gold vinyl, I find that it really fits here.
Every time that I listen to this record I'm surprised with just how much I like it. Side A is a damn near perfect run of songs from top to bottom. Side B is great as well, but doesn't pack the same punch as the first side. Man, this record is great.
As with most Ghost records, the packaging is total quality. The 28 page booklet full of artwork and lyrics is always a cool addition.
The gold vinyl came with a slipmat as well. It looks great, but will most likely be tucked back inside the record cover and not see the light of day for about 20 years.

No comments: