Monday, June 28, 2021

30 Years Down By Law

I was recently going through my list of records that came out in 1991. It is the 30th anniversary for records that were released then, and I've been drawn back repeatedly to that year to spin them again and again. In 1990 I was straddling the line between heavy metal and hardcore, but by '91 I had cut most of those metal ties and it was hardcore records all day everyday. Because of this, I have a lot of nostalgia for those records from Born Against, Billingsgate, 4 Walls Falling Mouthpiece, etc. That shit was the foundation for hardcore for me. Anyway...I was spending a lot of time in 1991 and really wanted to pull out my copy of the first Down By Law record...and I was kind of shocked to remember that I only owned it on CD. I needed to correct this and get it into my record collection as soon as possible.
I can't remember if I heard Dag Nasty or Down By Law first back in the day, but I'm leaning towards Down By Law. I mean, I loved this record when I heard it and I feel like if I was familiar with Dag's Can I Say at the time, I might have been a bit disappointed in the first DBL album...but I wasn't and I listened to this thing a lot. Revisiting the record 30 years later, it is still a ton of fun.
Pretty nice that even though this record hasn't seen any kind of reissue, and the only vinyl available is the original pressing from '91, that you can still pick this up for cheap.

No comments: