Thursday, May 01, 2014

Asomvel

I'm never content...always on the hunt for something new. So far this year, I've already added 800 new songs to my iPod. Fucking crazy. I need a more selective process for listening to new music.

Sandwell recently saw Grand Magus play live over in the UK. Lucky bastard. I love that band, and was looking to get some info on the show so that I could live vicariously through him. While giving me the details, he mentioned that the band that opened the show, Asomvel, was quite good as well. That was all that I needed to hear. The next few minutes of my life went something like this...search for, and watch the video for Trash Talker...feel my heart pound a bit faster from a surge of adrenaline...find and buy the vinyl for the Knuckle Duster LP. Just like that. I don't fuck around.

Seriously, this album rules. Asomvel sound like those classic Motorhead years of Overkill through Ace Of Spades. The first few times that I listened to this album, that influence really stood out..."Damn, that really sounds like Capricorn"...but now when I hear these songs, they just sound like Asomvel. Yes, the Motorhead sound is still there, but the band manage to make it their own. Impressive. Easily, one of my favorite new records that I've bought this year.

1 comment: