Thursday, October 28, 2021

Soul Kill

Picking up the new Encounter 7 inch a couple months back had me down the rabbit hole of early 90's hardcore. It is so easy for me to fall into this obsession. One small push and I'll be wrapped up in bands from that time period for weeks on end. That Encounter record was originally recorded back in '92, so I inevitably started hitting my playlist from that year pretty hard. The first Split Lip record was released that year as well, so as soon as I heard those songs, I desperately wanted another copy of that 7 inch.
Split Lip perfectly embody melodic 90's hardcore. The Soul Kill record was their first so by default it is their most traditional hardcore sounding release, but the band grew and pushed those boundaries with each release until they changed their name to Chamberlain and ended up as some kind of alt-country indie pile of shit. Those first few records however... and I consider Fate's Got A Driver to be very much a Split Lip record... are fucking flawless.
The blue vinyl for the first pressing looks great.
Back in the early 90's, I did pick up the second pressing on white vinyl with the purple cover. Happy to another copy to the collection.

No comments: