Wednesday, October 06, 2021

Radio Free Reissue

A couple of months back I found myself on an R.E.M. kick. It was hitting me pretty hard and I spent a few days repeatedly listening to some of their albums. It was a quick obsession, but it was enough to remind me that I'd seen something earlier in the year that the band was going to be reissuing their first 7 inch. I checked it out and found the local Bull Moose store had one available, so I took a quick drive over to pick it up.
Originally released in 1981, and limited to 1,000, the single contained early recordings of Radio Free Europe and Sitting Still. I'd never paid close enough attention to the R.E.M. disography to realize they released an early single so I was kind of interested to hear it. Seeing that the original can go for around $300 on Discogs, I figured that the $10 reissue was good enough for me. Considering that a couple years ago I didn't think that I'd ever need to listen to this band again, I'm not making any big dollar commitments to collecting for them. I like R.E.M., but let's not lose our minds, okay?
Although these two songs ended up on the Murmur LP, they sound a bit looser and have more bounce to them on this 7 inch. Cool to pick up for cheap.

No comments: