Monday, September 28, 2026

Line Drive Death Cave

Earlier this year I picked up the first Line Drive 7 inch on a whim as I was picking up other records from a seller, because why buy one record when you can buy many. I was familiar with the band's name, but never really had the opportunity to check them out too deeply. Grabbing that record was finally the time to do it, and I was immediately hooked... putting those songs from the 7 inch on a playlist alongside Forethought and Flagman for my daily dose of 90's hardcore.

Shortly after I got that post up for The Few, I was surprised to find a comment from the Line Drive singer, Gray, telling me that he still had a few copies of their second 7 inch laying around and that if I wanted one to drop him an email.

Soon after exchanging a couple of emails with Gray, and sending him my address, the Lead On 7 inch arrived. Sure I could have picked up on Discogs for cheap, but it was such a kind and generous offer from him and I'm grateful to finally have this copy in my collection. Shame that the record label didn't give us a colored vinyl version.
Man, I just love this style of early 90's hardcore. This shit never gets old for me, and it is so exciting for me to finally hear these songs in 2026. Yeah, I love new music... especially when it's 30+ years old.
In addition to the Lead On 7 inch, Gray took the opportunity to ship off a record from one of his more recent bands, Saddam Death Cave.
I usually ignore free records that people throw in with my order from labels and Discogs. Generally, I'm not interested in helping someone clean clutter out of their house, but I was grateful that Gray sent the Line Drive record, so I figured that I could at least check it out. Right off the bat I notice that the band does a cover of Naked Raygun's Rat Patrol, so my interest was piqued... and then I saw the band bio on Spotify that said "The elevator pitch was, and I quote, "Let's be like Poison Idea but without the morbid obesity. Like, just record a 7" and then one of us dies in a car accident."... that was it... I was suddenly interested to hear this band.
This Planned Obsolescence 10 inch is really quite good. I'm not too familiar with Poison Idea, but I can hear the influence... and the influence kind of make me think of Clifford from Bl'ast... so yeah, I'm digging this. Thanks Gray!

No comments: