Saturday, December 23, 2023

The Decision Is Ours

Striking Distance were around in the early 2000's, which was a time when I was a bit out of touch with what was going on with hardcore. I was aware of some bands at the time, but I was really more interested in stuff like Good Riddance and Anti-Flag. I did have the March To Your Grave CD around then, but I never really gave it much attention. Since I've started collecting record around 2005, I've had a few moments when I would want to build a solid Youngblood collection, but for one reason or another, I've never made moves to pick up the vinyl for that Striking Distance LP.
In 2022, when the Supreme Court overturned Roe v Wade, they proved that once again the American conservative powers-that-be doesn't give a shit about popular opinion or the rights of it's citizens, and effectively no longer protected a woman's right to abortion. A month after the ruling, Striking Distance played a couple of reunion shows, and packaged March To Your Grave in one of the best special reissue covers ever, so I knew it was time for me to get this record into my collection. Fuck every one of those conservative pieces of shit. Here is something sent special delivery with your name on it.
I really enjoy going back to that early 2000 era. I never really spent a lot of time with those bands, and it seems like most people have forgotten about that period these days, so it feels like you are in an exclusive club when listening to this stuff now.
According to discogs, there were 200 pressed on red vinyl for this reissue, but only 100 of them received this special cover... and of those, half of them had red poly bags while the other half had a regular clear bag... and then 70 of those had the regular glossy insert, while only 30 had a photocopied insert on red paper. Give me the most limited of the bunch.

1 comment:

mcs said...

I have 6 copies of this record, but for the first time in years I feel that I need a seventh. This looks great.