Monday, December 11, 2023

2001 Downer

One of the best surprises for me this year is the self titled Downer record. It was only released on CD back in 2001 from Roadrunner, so it is no surprise that I'd never heard it before... because seriously, Roadrunner in 2001... yeah no. Still, when Marcus asked me to give it a listen earlier this year because he was interested in my opinion of it, I figured that I'd give it a chance.
Honestly, I was not really feeling these songs with my first listen. This wasn't a style that I typically listened to, and I was not really vibing with it. Still, throughout the summer I really found myself leaning into different music that I don't traditionally spend a lot of time with, and this Downer record kept sounding better and better... and eventually it became one of my favorite things to listen to.
I'm not sure how to describe this. I've never listened to Deftones until this summer, and I think I hear a bit of that sound... but with some Quicksand in there as well maybe? Discogs tags it as nu metal, but that doesn't feel totally correct. I don't know, but it is so good.
This year the Downer record finally saw a vinyl release, and it looks great. The front cover artwork looks better than the original, and all the little extras are a nice touch. 100 pressed on violet colored vinyl.

No comments: