Monday, July 24, 2023

Absolute Power

Earlier this year, I was very happy when I picked up the vinyl for an old thrash classic, Overkill's Under The Influence. I tend to ride that record buying high, and immediately start looking to chase down similar records to add to my collection. I had been looking to get that Overkill album into my collection for a long time, and when I started thinking about other 80's metal records that I've been wanting for a long time, the band Powermad came to mind.
Powermad were a thrash band out of Minneapolis in the late 80's. They came into the scene a little late in the game, so it feels like they are a bit underrated and forgotten, but their EP from 1988 (The Madness Begins...) and their LP from 1989 (Absolute Power) are both killer records that I never get tired of. My hunt for both of these records has been up and down for years and years, but for one reason or another I just never pulled the trigger. Getting that Overkill album into my collection set me on a mission to do the same with other long standing records on my want list. I was done fucking around waiting for the right price.
Thankfully eBay came to the rescue with auctions for both Powermad records. I was a bit surprised to lose out on the EP, but could not be happier to score the Absolute Power LP at a price that put the Discogs sellers to shame. Goddamn. I haven't paid much attention to eBay for a few years, but it might be time to start checking in there regularly again... at least for metal records.
I was very happy to find that the version of Absolute Power that I picked up, contained the promo packet and photo. Little extras like this are very cool.

No comments: