Tuesday, July 18, 2023

Scowl Dance Routine

It has been a bit of a struggle for me to pay much attention to new releases this year. I think that because I was so rabid for new shit last year, that I'm a bit burned out on it in 2023, and for the most part I just want to listen to stuff that I already now. I've still been buying new records, but as I look at the 18 or so of them sitting in my blog backlog, I haven't really obsessed over any of them. There is still plenty of cool new stuff that I've grabbed so far in 2023, but I'm just slow to getting around to it.
I've had the new Scowl record for a while now, but I didn't really bother giving it a spin until last week. This 12 inch is a bit of a surprise. Some songs here are not what I expected from Scowl, and when I first heard tracks like Opening Night, I thought that maybe the tour they did with Limp Bizkit might have been a bad influence, and that I was being set up for what might be the biggest disappointment of the year. However, now that I've listened to the record a few times, I think that those songs that take a different direction are quite possibly my favorite Scowl songs. I can tell that this EP is going to grow on me big time before the end of the year.
Nothing too special with this pressing, as I just went with the transparent red vinyl that is limited to 2,000 copies for REV and Deathwish. I don't care. I just prefer transparent colors and think that this one looks good with the b-side screenprint.

No comments: