Tuesday, January 17, 2023

Seaweed Actions

When I first discover an older band, I take my sweet time in digging into their back catalog. I don't want to rush it and be overloaded with every record that the band has released. I'm taking my time and savoring each one. When I first heard Seaweed at the end of 2013, I thought that Four was the only record that I was ever going to need to hear from the band. That album was so perfect, I was afraid to fuck around with anything else the band had released for fear of spoiling my high opinion. Marcus wasn't going to let me sit complacent too long, and a year later he mailed me a bunch of Seaweed records, including the Weak LP. Damn. That made two Seaweed albums that I loved. Around 2019, I finally decided that I'd check out Spanaway. Fuck me. I read somewhere that people that think that Four is the best Seaweed album haven't heard Spanaway, and that may be the truth because now I can't say which record I like more. Now here we are, nine years after first hearing Seaweed, and I'm finally giving the Actions And Indications album my first listen.
Last November, I was out for the day, driving to New Hampshire with my wife. We had just stopped to check out a thrift store along the way for some used books when I got a message from Marcus, giving me a heads up that there was a new reissue of Seaweed's fourth album, Actions And Indications, on colored vinyl. I'd been trying to get my hands on the green vinyl for Spanaway for a couple of years with no luck, and hearing this news from Marcus, I casually drifted to a different part of the store from my wife, and I quickly used my phone to place my order. Thank you technology.
Despite never hearing this album, I still didn't hesitate to order a copy. I've only listened to this record a couple of times, so it will take some time to get familiar with the songs (although the Warsaw cover was an immediate hit with me... although I only knew it because of the Swing Kids version and not the original by Joy Division). So while it might rank at the bottom of the four Seaweed albums, this is still a very good record and I'm looking forward to revisiting it over and over throughout 2023.
300 pressed on "reddish yellow" colored vinyl... or more commonly known as "orange". This reissue includes a song that wasn't on the original album (Everybody's Ok was on the Brazilian release), plus the download gives you three more unreleased songs. 15 new-to-me Seaweed songs.

No comments: