Sunday, January 22, 2023

Wanna Buy It

Early in December, I had the opportunity to meet up with Marcus for an afternoon down in Boston. After a great lunch at Veggie Galaxy, we were thinking about hitting up Armageddon Shop for some records, but when it was recommended that we check out Wanna Hear It, we decided to head over to that store instead.
I don't hold out a lot of hope when I go to record stores these days. Usually the selection is very thin for what I'm looking for, and if they do happen to have a record that I'm interested in, it is usually overpriced. None of these things were the case for my first trip to Wanna Hear It. I'm still thinking about records that I saw in that store that I wish that I'd picked up while I was there. I'm going to spread my record haul out over a handful of posts, so lets get things started with this one.
To be honest, I never paid much attention to The Suicide File. I was kind of out of touch with what was going on in hardcore in the early 2000's when the band was active. They were from Boston, and I would go to shows in Boston, so the fact that I never really picked up on them just shows how far removed I was from what was happening. In 2005, I did pick up the Some Mistakes You Never Stop Paying For comp, that collected the songs from their 7 inches and splits, and while I dug it, it didn't leave a lasting mark on me.
Last year, as I was diving in deep with some of those early 2000-era bands, I had a pretty solid stretch where I kept returning to those songs from The Suicide File. The hooks were finally in me, and they were in deep. Fuck, I was loving this stuff. I had wanted to pick up some vinyl from the band throughout 2022, but I'd never made it happen. When I saw the white vinyl for the Things Fall Apart 7 inch at Wanna Hear It, I knew that I was leaving that store with it.

1 comment:

mcs said...

'Cold Snap' is absolutely one of my favourite songs ever written. Musically and lyrically perfect.