Wednesday, January 25, 2023

Ships Sinking

Another post for records that I picked up at Wanna Hear It, and another band that I didn't pay much attention to when they were around and releasing records.

A couple of years ago I wanted to revisit records from that mid to late 2000 period. It had been a while since I'd spent any time with those bands and it was fun to dust off some of that stuff and take it for a spin again. Along the way, I came across the Sinking Ships track on the Generations comp from REV. I had never paid much attention to the band back in the day, but hearing that song put me in the mood to dig in deeper. I was immediately impressed with the Meridian 7 inch, and quickly picked up a copy on blue vinyl. The record was a cheap pickup, and I quickly found myself wanting more Sinking Ships records.

Despite wanting to add some Sinking Ships records to my collection over the past year and a half, it just hadn't happened for me yet. Walking into Wanna Hear It and seeing a bunch of their records available, I knew that now was the time to make my move... starting with the tour press of the Meridian 7 inch.
The "Mars, Bitches" cover was made for the tour that Sinking Ships did with Shook Ones (another band that I have never paid any attention to). Red vinyl and numbered out of 100.
Picking up the tour press on red vinyl, I probably didn't need to also grab the red vinyl with the regular cover, but fuck it, I just wanted to buy more Sinking Ships records.
I also grabbed a copy of the Safe / Revenge 7 inch. I like that the hand stamped cover for mine is for "Ships Sinking".
This is a weird record. The packaging is boring as fuck, and the songs don't really sound like Sinking Ships. They sound like Sinking Ships playing cover songs. I'm sure there is a story in here somewhere, but this 7 inch just feels strange and out of place in the Sinking Ships catalog.
The last Sinking Ships record that I grabbed was the Out Of Touch / Bee Honda 7 inch. These two songs are great, and as the last release from the band, it sends them off on a high note. 250 pressed on blue vinyl and self released by the band on their Sinking Ships Records label.
Funny enough, when I took my records up to the counter to pay, the woman working there said that they had seen only one other customer that day, and that he had also bought a Sinking Ships record. I'm glad that Marcus also bought one that day to keep the Sinking Ships buying streak alive. Three for three!

No comments: