Saturday, September 17, 2022

New Adventures In R.E.M. Reissues

I don't listen to R.E.M. a lot, but sometimes they hit a spot with me that can't be denied. As I was picking up the latest Dio single for Record Store Day, I was flipping through the record bins at Bull Moose... not really expecting to find anything, but it felt good to flip through the stacks of vinyl... and then I noticed a recent pressing for New Adventures In Hi-Fi.
There was a time when I never thought that I'd need to listen to R.E.M. again, but the last few years has found me digging out their records occasionally, and really having a good time with them. When I saw New Adventures In Hi-Fi in the racks, I felt the need to pick it up. I haven't listened to this R.E.M. record for probably 20 years, and looking at the track listing, not a single song stood out as one that I remembered. I did recall that I liked this album when I bought the CD back in 1996, so I took a chance and on a whim I bought the vinyl.
Wow. It was great revisiting this album, and a few of the songs came back to me as soon as I heard them (Bittersweet Me is so amazing... how did I forget about this song... and damn... E-Bow The Letter hits me hard as well.) I never bothered with any R.E.M. record after this one, so this may be as far as I go with the band, but now I'm curious.

No comments: