Wednesday, August 03, 2022

Glow Police

A few years back I was finally able to pick up a copy of the first Police & Thieves 7 inch with the record release cover. I've got a solid P&T collection, so it made me very happy to get my hands on that special cover, and at only $4 it was a steal. The record release cover was made with glow in the dark ink, and when I recieved my copy, I was a bit disappointed to discover that it had lost its glow. At the time, Marcus joked that since it didn't glow, it was a good excuse to buy another one. Seemed like good advice, and here we are three years later with my second copy.
The first copy of the record release cover that I bought was printed with yellow ink, and when a Discogs seller recently listed a copy with a "nice greenish fade on the screen print", I was intrigued.
I sent a message to the seller to ask for photos so that I could verify that the ink color was different from my current copy. It was a slight pain in the ass when he then asked for me to send him a dollar for the trouble of sending the photo, and if I did end up buying the record, he would refund me the amount. Weird. I'd never encountered that before. The seller ended up being the drummer for Give, and previously Desperate Measures, and apparently was tired of sending photos to potential buyers that never followed through. Once I saw the photos, I obviously had to buy it and add another copy of this to the collection.
This one definitely glows in the dark.
I had to pull out my other record release cover for this 7 inch. There are obviously different colors of ink used here. There is a photo of one on Discogs that appears to have black ink for the text on the cover. Am I going to need that one too?
Number 25 and 16, and it is interesting to see the different shades of yellow for the colored vinyl. The one with the yellow cover is a more pale shade of yellow, which is a nice touch and I wonder if it was intentional.

1 comment:

mcs said...

Whoa! This is so rad! I still want one of these. But I can see I'll be competing against you for one so probably won't win, especially as there's no way I'd be paying a dollar for a photo.