Tuesday, August 23, 2022

Enact

War Records has released some solid records lately, so I've started to pay more attention to what that label is releasing. I didn't know anything about Enact, when the label announced that they were releasing a record by the band, but I've been loving a bunch of newer hardcore bands lately so I decided to see what they were about. Rather quickly, I discovered two things that really piqued my interest... one, they were a straight edge band... and two, Kyle Deville from Get The Most and Cutting Through was playing guitar. I checked out a couple of songs on Spotify, but I didn't pay too close attention to them, and quickly found myself preordering the album.
When the record arrived, I gave it a couple of spins, but it really wasn't catching my attention and it quickly became background noise to whatever else I was doing. I kind of gave it a shrug of my shoulders and put it in the pile of records that I have stacked up as my backlog to write about for the blog. I just didn't find it too exciting. As I was getting closer to pulling the record out to write about here, I gave it a couple more spins, and suddenly things clicked. Wow. It grew on me with each listen, and I found myself listening to it daily. I even get a kick out of watching their video for the song The True Balance, even though they do that goofy "walking down the street while singing the song" camera shot. This is a really good record, and even with the seven and a half minute final song, Still In Silence, that features an angry spoken word piece set to music, I love this record all the way through. I've heard some people say that they will probably only listen to this Still In Silence song a couple of times and then skip it, but Rikki's voice is so passionate and powerful, I don't see how you could ignore it. It is surprising just how much I've come to like this record.
170 pressed on "grape" colored vinyl... which seems like an odd choice... I mean why not go with yellow or red vinyl to match the cover?

No comments: