Monday, August 22, 2022

Clutch Collector's Series #2

Last year, Clutch introduced their Collector's Series with a special pressing of their Blast Tyrant album. The plan with the Collector's Series is to reissue a number of Clutch albums, repackaging them with some reimagined art work. The one for Blast Tyrant was fantastic, and I was eager for the next one.
It has taken a year for the second release in the Collector's Series to drop, and this time they went with Robot Hive/Exodus. This album was originally released in 2005 on CD and didn't see a vinyl pressing until 2014. I grabbed that 2014 pressing when it was released, and I'm very happy with it, but it is cool to get a colored vinyl version here.
Once again, the packaging for this series is amazing. The new cover artwork looks great, and the colored vinyl is a nice match. You can tell that a lot of thought and hard work went into this pressing to make it special.
There is a bonus 7 inch included with the album, and features two songs from the Robot Hive session that were cut from the original release due to time constraints. Those songs ended up on the Pitchfork And Lost Needles comp from the band, but it is cool to have them packaged here.
Custom art print is included as well, and signed by the band. Pretty cool that I got a low number with 22 out of 7,500.
I was really hoping that Clutch was going to take the opportunity to reissue some of thier older records in this Collector's Series format... it would be nice to get some of those albums that I'm not very familiar with like Elephant Riders and the self-titled Clutch record with this special packaging... but I read recently that there are only four records in this series, so I can only assume that the next two will follow the chronological order set with Blast Tyrant and Robot Hive/Exodus, and the next two will be From Beale Street To Oblivion and Strange Cousins From The West. I already own the vinyl for those two, but it looks like I'll be buying them to complete the series.

2 comments:

mcs said...

Is that a silver and gold vinyl set?

I just love how our Clutch knowledge / taste does not overlap at all. I have the records up to and including Elephant Riders, then I tapped out. I think the last one I bought was 'Pure Rock Fury' in 2001 which seemed to be about an hour long and which bored the hell outta me so I sold it or gave it away. Kinda weird given I know pretty much every word to every record before that because I played them so much.

Mike said...

Yes, silver and gold... although the gold has more of an orange tint to it.

ha ha ha...yeah, Pure Rock Fury seems to be the dud of the bunch, but I'm slowly getting into the earlier Clutch stuff.