Tuesday, February 15, 2022

Early 90's In Color: Green Day

For a few years in a row now, early in the year, I've ended up running a series of posts here on the blog around some cheap 7 inches that I had recently picked up. I really get a kick out of picking up some record of a band that not many people remember or care to collect, and those are some of my favorite posts to write. Those series of posts from the last couple of years just kind of came together without much thought, and I wasn't really thinking about doing another round of them this year... but then I suddenly realized that I had recently picked up a few colored vinyl 7 inches from the early 90's. I knew that I could build on that with a few more records that I'd been wanting to pick up, and suddenly I had a theme for another series of posts. So here we go with some colored vinyl 7 inches from the early 90's that I've picked up over the past few weeks.
This green vinyl copy of Green Day's Slappy 7 inch is far and away the most expensive of my recent 90's colored vinyl haul. Everything beyond this post in this series is going to see a big dip in price, so let's get this one out there first so I can set you up for disappointment from here on out.
I don't tend to spin them very often, but I am a big fan of those early Green Day records. I can hang with everything through Nimrod... maybe even the Warning album if I'm feeling in a generous mood towards pop punk. Anything after that though can fuck off. Around five years ago, I got it into my head that I might want to go big with some of the colored vinyl pressings for the early stuff, and I dropped a couple of them onto my Discogs wantlist. This copy of Slappy on green came up recently, and I was kind of surprised at how decent the price was. It was refreshing to find a seller on Discogs that wasn't listing a record at a ridiculous price, and I decided that it was a good time to finally grab a copy. This green vinyl looks so good, and I'm glad to finally own this. Who knows, maybe in another five years I'll make a move to grab another Green Day record.

1 comment:

mcs said...

I'm really surprised to see this here, but it's good to see you have joined me on an early 90s pop punk fetish at the moment. On a related note, I have the early Green Day records all on colour, but my interest in the band ends with 'Dookie'. But yeah, their Lookout! releases still hold up and are great records. Easy to see why they blew up.